After working several years with the Lamb's Players Theatre in San Diego, California, Charlie and Ruth Jones founded Peculiar People in 1987 in Birmingham, Alabama where they remained for 7 years under the love, influence and care of Altadena Valley Presbyterian Church. From Birmingham Peculiar People was next headquartered in Franklin, TN (a suburb of Nashville) where they attended Christ Community Church and traveled extensively. Soon after celebrating the 20th Anniversary of Peculiar People, Charlie & Ruth moved to Greensboro, NC. They are now “staying put” quite a bit, learning how to live, love and minister in their community (South Elm St. in Greensboro). They are exploring new ways of using the Arts to “give gifts” to their city and to announce the Kingdom of God with joy. Their community dinners and shows have been so very successful in fulfilling this mission.
The Jones have a combined total of over 54 years of experience in theatre and have traveled internationally with Peculiar People. Charlie and Ruth both write and act their own material which encompasses a wide variety of themes and styles from sketch comedy to full-length historical dramas. The main focus of their work is a desire to renew astonishment at the power of God's Grace and recapture a lost wonder and innocence.
Some fun Peculiar Statistics after 23 years as Peculiar People:
- Approx. 1.2 million highway miles traveled - That’s about 3.5 years of solid driving... 24/7 (avg. 70,000 miles per year)
- Purchased over 93,000 gallons of gasoline
- Spent more than 6-1/2 years in motel rooms
- Performed in over 1,300 churches or organizations
- Performed “Who’s On First” well over 1,400 times
- Performed “Billy” over 3,700 times
- Traveled to 21 countries proclaiming the Wonder of God’s Grace (U.S.A., Canada, Mexico,
- England, France, Holland, Austria, Ukraine, Germany, Italy, Malta, Greece, Czech Republic, Slovakia,
- Kenya, Japan, Spain, Morocco, Panama & Alabama)
Consumed well over 17,250 cups of coffee (but that is probably an extreme under-estimate!)